Academic Advising

Academic Advisors

You will be assigned a faculty academic advisor for your program of study. You usually stay with the same academic advisor until graduation unless you change degree programs. All entering students are usually advised by Student Success Advisors.

  • Academic Advisors have an understanding of your degree requirements, as well as information about career and transfer possibilities for your program.
  • Academic Advisors can help explain College policies and regulations.
  • Academic Advisors are accessible through regularly posted office hours in . Advisors can also be reached in their office, by phone, via Microsoft Teams, and through email. Academic Advisors are helpful in connecting you with campus resources, such as tutoring or counseling.

Meeting your Academic Advisor

  • It is recommended that you meet with your Academic Advisor for the first time early in your first semester at the College to discuss goals and to begin long-term planning for your degree program.
  • You should also meet with your Academic Advisor each semester prior to registering for the next semester鈥檚 classes. 
  • You also need to meet with your advisor any time you want to make changes to your schedule during the semester (drop/add/withdraw).
  • DegreeWorks can be a helpful tool to check when working with your Academic Advisor.  

Changing your Degree Program 

  • If you are interested in changing , you need to meet with an academic advisor to fill out a Change of Program form.
  • If you are staying within the same discipline, such as changing from the Criminal Justice A.S. to the A.A.S., you can meet with your current Academic Advisor to make the change. Otherwise, you should to assist you with the change. 
  • It is important to understand how any courses you have already taken will fit into your new degree program and how it will impact your time to graduation. 
  • When changing programs there may also financial aid considerations which need to be discussed. 

Contacting your Academic Advisor

Academic advising is available for you even if you do not take classes on the main campus. You can always contact your Academic Advisor by phone or email. You can also make appointments with your Academic Advisor in Starfish.